Search

About

Flipping Frenzy.com is your source for news, information, and commentary on Real Estate and Mortgage Fraud. Click here to learn more.

Fields marked with a * are required

Suspect Fraud?

If you believe you have been a victim of real estate or mortgage fraud, start here! Select your state from the pulldown menu below:

Articles

Our founder, Ralph Roberts, has written many eye-opening articles about Real Estate and Mortgage Fraud. Click here for more information.

Contact Ralph

If you would like to talk with us about a Real Estate or Mortgage Fraud-related matter, please click here.

Click Above for Info

Categories

Ralph's Latest Book: Click Above for Info

November 2006
S M T W T F S
« Oct   Dec »
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930

Click Above for Info

Recent comments

The FBI Investigates Mortgage Fraud!

Recent posts

Archives

Rebecca Huck Sentenced to Nearly 6 Years in Prison

Rebecca Marie Hauck–who has been called the ‘better half’ of a Bonnie & Clyde team that is credited with committing more real estate and mortgage fraud-related crimes than you can shake a stick at–was sentenced yesterday afternoon by a U.S. District Judge in Georgia to serve 5 years and 10 months in prison for her role in a string of mortgage and bank fraud-related crimes.

As most Flipping Frenzy readers already know, Hauck was involved in fraud schemes that resulted not only in millions of dollars in losses for innocent homeowners and banks, but she also snarled property titles on residences throughout the southeastern part of the United States. Hauck and co-defendant Matthew Cox (who is still on the loose, by the way) stole homeowners’ identities and placed multiple loans on houses they did not own, which created a level of havoc that is still being felt across five southeastern states.

Hauck, who is just 34-years-old, will serve her time in a federal prison, followed by five years of supervised release. She was also ordered to pay restitution of $1,197,970.00, and was ordered to forfeit any profits from book, television or any entertainment rights she secures here in the U.S.

According to the information presented in court, Hauck and co-defendant Cox fraudulently erased mortgage liens on rented properties. In the process, they stole the identities of the people from whom they rented, and frequently obtained multiple new mortgage loans on the properties. After they executed the scheme in one location, they changed locations and did the same thing over and over again. Hauck and Cox used stolen identities to obtain drivers licenses, purchase vehicles, lease mail drops, rent apartments and open bank accounts to receive scheme proceeds throughout the states of Georgia, Florida, Alabama, South Carolina and North Carolina.

Hauck was indicted in late-September of 2005 on 42 counts of bank fraud, wire fraud, interstate transportation of fraud proceeds, identity theft, money laundering and conspiracy. Her indictment, which was unsealed in March of this year when the U.S. Secret Service arrested her in Houston, Texas, came as a wake-up call to some real estate industry insiders.

For his part, 36-year-old Matthew Cox–whose known aliases include Maxwell Price, David Richard Freeman, Gerald Scott Cugno, Michael Shawn Shanahan, Gary Lee Sullivan, Michael John Eckert, Michael White, Kevin White, David White, and James Redd–is alleged to have obtained a number of the stolen identities from homeless people by posing as a Red Cross worker taking a survey. According to the U.S. Secret Service, he has used elaborate schemes to avoid capture, including obtaining state-issued and counterfeit driver’s licenses. He has not used his true name since 2003, and is believed to be armed and dangerous. Law enforcement is seeking the assistance of the real estate industry in locating Cox, who has been a fugitive since December of 2003. Anyone with information about Matthew Cox’s whereabouts can contact the Secret Service toll-free, 24 hours a day, by calling 1-877-242-3375.

7 Comments

1. Rebecca’s dear Mother is a best friend of mine for over 20 yrs. and she and the entire family have suffered this past three years not knowing if Becky was alive or free to contact them. Now Becky begins to pay back her debt to society for her misdeeds; but I think three lifetimes will not be enough for her to “pay back” her family! We love Becky and support and pray for her redemption.

Comment by Jean — November 16, 2006 @ 10:02 pm

2. [...] Matthew Cox used stolen identities to obtain drivers licenses, purchase vehicles, lease mail drops, rent apartments, and open bank accounts to receive Real Estate-related scheme proceeds throughout the states of Georgia, Florida, Alabama, South Carolina and North Carolina. Cox’s accomplice in many of his scams– Rebecca Marie Hauck–was sentenced on November 15, 2006 (the day before Cox was captured) by a U.S. District Judge in Georgia to serve 5 years and 10 months in prison for her role in the now infamous string of mortgage and bank fraud-related crimes. [...]

Pingback by Real Estate Fraud | Mortgage Fraud | Flipping Schemes — November 17, 2007 @ 12:30 pm

3. Becky was a dear friend of mine when we lived and worked literally right next to each other in Las Vegas. I miss her dearly and am so saddened that she became involved in such a crime. She was never involved in any type of crime before her move to Tampa and upon meeting Matt Cox, and in hindsight, I wish I would have asked her to stay. Bryce, I hope you are doing all right.

Comment by Stephanie — July 23, 2008 @ 2:23 pm

4. Becky Hauck is hot!!! She will be popular in the Club Fed

Comment by cassandra — July 24, 2008 @ 11:02 pm

5. I just saw a repeat of the show about Rebecca and Matthew on ID network. “Bonnie & Clyde” called, visited the next morning and almost immediately made an offer on a house I had advertised for sale in a FSBO publication..

My hinky meter went off soon after we met; I was familiar with the neighborhood where they said they currently resided in nearby Tallahassee… the address of choice in town! They gave a lame answer to why they would move to my town, to a 100 year-old house that needed updating. I asked if they had children and they said yes but never asked about schools or anything I would have expected a prospective buyer to ask.

They were in a hurry to close on a full-price offer (needed a couple days to transfer funds), and volunteered a lot of information about how much money they had availible. She supposedly had a current project, building a $40M, 150 unit condo complex at Jacksonville Beach, FL. Nothing about the sale made sense. I thought their scam was robbery because she went downstairs when I was showing the 2nd floor balcony and I later found her leaving the master bathroom, “feeling ill”. I did a quick inventory in my mind if I had left any jewelry sitting out. Anyway, because I was so uncomfortable about them, I put off our next meeting, didn’t return a couple of their calls, and they eventually dropped off my radar. Fast forward about 2 years and one evening I walked into the den where the tv was on Dateline and saw an attractive young woman talking & thought “I know her… who is she?” Before I could turn up the volume it occured to me she was the buyer with the husband who was overly impressed with his money and success.

They have since become the poster couple for mortgage scam and I still wonder if she really felt physically ill or was having a moment of ‘cold feet”.

Comment by Almost A Victim — October 16, 2008 @ 1:00 am

6. I was wondering if she is still serving her sentnce Rebecca huack an were is she at what federal prison?

Comment by lloyd — January 23, 2010 @ 9:52 pm

7. I do not feel sorry for Rebecca Hauck or any of the girls that ran with him, they were adults not children, no one lead them to Matt they went freely. They were just as GUILTY as he was. Were they stupid enough to run from the LAW, run from state to state, get surgeries, fake id’s, fake names, open fake bank accounts,etc… DO NOT FEEL SORRY FOR THEM, they knew what they were doing and it was all for the MONEY! I am unfortunately related to Matthew and he is a disgrace to the family. But, when you grow up in a rich neighborhood with daddy’s money what do you expect. All the kids were spoiled beyond belief and Matt was the ” Favorite”. I wonder if he is George’s favorite now??? Matt even stole money from his parents a few kk. I sure hope the guys in prison like Matt, it’s funny how the tables turn, Matt was in fear of going to prison. Matt and Rebecca could never serve enough time or pay back enough money for all the terrible things they did to a lot of people. Look at what they did to their own children and it was all over MONEY, how sad they are. I hate to say it but Matt is getting just what he deserves, look at where the rich kid is now!

Comment by Ellen — February 23, 2011 @ 10:42 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.